Sunday, January 15, 2012


Ahh-Toe-Lei

The other night when I was out with my Mexican friends, one of them ordered this stuff.

Yeah, I call it stuff, because it took me two whole days to explain it to like five hundred people, and also to my family sixteen times, until FINALLY someone knew what I was talking about. Thanks to mi Papa, he understood what I was describing. Not even my friend Edwin, who knows lotsa english could translate this.

Its called Champurrado, and basically its a hot drink, sort of like hot chocolate, but not chocolatey. It was vanilla flavored and is made with milk and then this special sugar called panela. Apparently, people here drink it for breakfast, or around Christmas and other holidays. So next time I am out and about I am going to try it for sure.

Anyways, after I got my family talking about it, my dad decided he wanted some Atole, which is also like the brother of Champurrado and hot chocolate. Atole is thicker than hot chocolate, and is made with milk, vanilla, cinnamon, sugar and also some sort of flour. Chumpurrado and Atole are NOT the same thing, I was told by my sisters. It was white and creamy, and I actually liked it. I am doubting it is very good for you since when it gets cold, it starts to congeal like pudding or flan, but I tried it, and am still living to tell about it! I am betting Justen would like this because its also sort of reminded me of egg nog, but warm. I will have to ask him :)

So as you can see my night consisted of American card games, Tangled the movie in Spanish and some Atole!



-Sara Jacqueline

No comments:

Post a Comment