Friday, February 10, 2012

TGIF: Rain and Brownies. Enough said..

Fridays always seem to drag on and on, almost as if they are laughing at you and torturing you while you wait for Friday night, or even Saturday. This morning after going to my usual Zumba class, we met up with Irma, our awesome culture teacher to talk about Oaxaca. We are going to Oaxaca this weekend to visit the temple and also to enjoy some more adventures. After we chatted about out trip and planned out every waking moment, she took us out for a ride.

I love hanging out with Irma, because she usually takes us somewhere in her car. This may not seem like a big deal, but for us it is. Why??? Well for this one day a week, whenever we are with her, we don't have to stress over how long it is going to take us to walk there, or if we will get lost, or anything else, all we have to do is sit in her warm car with the windows down listening to Adele. There really is nothing better than being taken care of by a Mexican Momma, and driven around in her car..haha...snobby much?? Yeah, probably. I just enjoy car rides too much these days.

Anyways, back on topic. She took us to this huge place called MineraliA, where they produce a ton of different beads out of natural stones and minerals found here. We also went to a onyx factory...or something like that, basically where they made the onyx into everything you could imagine for your house, or to wear, it was really kind of neat.

In the afternoon, a few of us walked down to the corner to get our 50 cent homemade ice cream cone and then hung outside until it got too cloudy and cold. The clouds rolled in, and then a miraculous thing happened. IT RAINED!!! Yes, it rained in Tehuacán for the first time since I have been here...which has been like five weeks. Wow. Thats crazy compared to home, where it rains all the time. We were so excited we ran around a little bit, and stared at it and screamed about it, and basically we loved all thirty minutes of it.


After class, I came home to my family and decided to make brownies with them since they have been begging for more cooking lessons and American treats. I haven't been feeling well for the past few weekends, so I never wanted to make them, but I figured I could make something sugary before I left for the weekend..haha.

We had to make the simplest brownies ever becuase these grocery stores are seriously lacking in ingredients for ANYTHING. I never realized how lucky I am to be able to bake at home all the time. Its so hard to bake here because planning is such a pain in the butt, and shopping is even worse.

My sister, Viviana was super excited and wanted to stir her little arms off, she wasn't quite sure what we were making, but she really wanted some. haha. Cute.


The whole oven thing was also complicated, because of course its in celsius and even more difficult it is a gas oven..I don't even know what to do with that. Does that make me an unfit baker?? Is my badge of domestication going to be taken away?? I don't know, but I was completely dumbfounded.
When my mom got the oven going, she realized we didn't even have enough gas left for the oven to work today, which really stinks. The gas always runs out at the most inconvenient times, like when I need to take a shower, or when I want to make brownies... Mmmm, oh well.
Time for Improvisation!!

Brownies in a mug. Yummmy, yes it wasn't quite the same, but they were still gooey, chocolatey and sweet, which is just what we wanted. We saved the other half of the batter for tomorrow, when the gas could be refilled.

We also made some hot chocolate with the cocoa powder. My family didn't know you had to add sugar to cocoa powder, so they took big licks of it, and realized how bitter and gross it was. That was hilarious for me. I love hot chocolate. It's actually one of the things I miss the most about home, because Swiss Miss is so easy to make.


Tomorrow we are going to Oaxaca, which is about a 3 hours bus ride, so we are ultra excited. We have been told that Oaxaca is very colonial and beautiful and warm!! We have to be up at like 4 a.m. so it better be worth it! I can't wait to tell you all about it! Peace

P.S. We have the most epic Valentine's Day plans, and I cannot wait to tell you about them!!


-Sara Jacqueline

No comments:

Post a Comment