Wednesday, February 27, 2013

Recipe: Stove-Top Mac & Cheese






I think it is about time I share one of my best go to recipes. When I am just trying to feed people in a fast, easy and delicious way I get out this recipe (which I think I have memorized now) and whip up some homemade kid food. 

The great thing about this recipe is that you literally cannot mess it up or make it taste bad. Anything goes. You can use pretty much any kind of cheese you have one hand. I have tried all of the shredded varieties in the supermarket cooler and mixed up the cheese leftovers in my house as well. If you are into being a more health conscious eater, you can definitely substitute all of the ingredients for whole wheat, egg whites, skim milk, 2% cheese, etc. It still has a mac and cheese vibe even if you cut the calories. The only thing I haven't tried yet, is making it egg free...which I should get on that for my pal Lauren and her allergy house...so tell me if you try it! 

Make some mac and cheese tonight, you won't be sorry and you probably have everything in your pantry right now.



Sara's Stove Top Mac and Cheese

Ingredients:
1 lb of pasta noodles (any sort you wish)
4 T Butter or margarine
2 Eggs
6 oz Evaporated milk (1/2 can)
Dash of hot sauce
3/4 tsp Dry mustard
10 oz Shredded Cheddar Cheese (give or take, this does not need to be perfect!)
Salt to taste
Black pepper to taste


To Make:

1.Cook pasta according to box directions until al dente and drain.

2. Return to the pot and melt in butter. Whisk the eggs, milk, hot sauce, salt, pepper and dry mustard together and stir into the pasta over low heat. 

3. Add the cheese in and stir continuously until melted and creamy. Serve immediately! Way better than that blue box stuff.



I hope this rain goes away soon! Who is ready for Spring??



-Sara Jacqueline

No comments:

Post a Comment