Sunday, February 3, 2013


A Super Simple Baby Gift



Holy Cow it is cold outside!!... and it has snowed all weekend long here. We really have enjoyed the snow and made sure to bust out our sleds. I also got out of school on Friday, so I really cannot complain at all. 18 degrees has it's perks sometimes...

Lately everyone I know has been having a baby ( including my sister-in-law which makes me an Aunt!), and my cousin is next up! She is having a baby boy in the next month, so I whipped up a cute blanket that I hope she will love. She has requested a sock monkey theme so I was so excited when I found this killer cute fleece at Hobby Lobby.

This is probably the simplest baby blanket you could ever make, and its really a boring project, so don't think this is what I do all day...seriously, I got more skills than this. But if you are in need of a fast gift or maybe a beginner project, go for it!

(Note: The picture quality is horrible and I know it.) 

1. Get some super adorable fleece, or other cozy baby fabric. 
Sock Monkeys = Classic.



The first step is to cut your fabric into the size you want. Typically with baby blankets, I make them about a 45 inch square, which is 1 1/4 yard of fabric, but this fleece was a little misshapen so I trimmed it up to the size I needed



2. After trimming I took a round plate and my rotary cutter to round out the corners. You don't have to do this step, but I felt like it, so I did...




3. I used some blanket binding that I also found at Hobby Lobby and pinned it around the entire edge of the fleece. I chose red because it just stood out the most and really made the monkeys pop.




4. Sew the binding on the fleece along the edge. Be careful not to stretch the fleece too much, or else it could cause the binding to pucker. But really, this blanket is very forgiving.



5. Get cozy with your blanket! Or give it to a friend expecting a baby.
Yes seriously, it is THAT easy. 


 I paired the blanket with a little sock monkey/toy/blankie that I found at Cracker Barrel. Of all places...weird, but very fitting to go with my sock monkey blanket.



Well I really hope my new Baby Cousin will love to snuggle up with this blanket! It really did take me like half an hour..... clearly I am a busy lady right now which is why I resorted to such a simple, but sweet project. More on my life later. Hah.


-Sara Jacqueline


No comments:

Post a Comment